[Gambas-user] Debian and Ubuntu package building of Application failed

Wed Mar 3 23:32:28 CET 2010

Benoît Minisini ha scritto:
>> Vassilis K ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> I just made packages of a small application for Opensuse, Madriva and
>>> Fedora. Everything worked fine.
>>>
>>> But the package building for Debian and Ubuntu did not work! It shows:
>>> sh: fakeroot: command not found
>>>
>> One clear advantage of linux over windoze is that linux often explain
>> what went wrong...
>> It seems that "fakeroot" is missing... probably you should install it
>> (the package should be named "fakeroot"?)
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Doriano
>>

> The problem is worse than that. For example, apparently Mandriva does not make
> packages for programs needed to make Debian/Ubuntu packages (fakeroot and
> another one I don't remember).
>
> So, concretely, you can't create Ubuntu/Debian packages from Mandriva, unless
> you compile the needed programs!
>
> I don't know if it is true for other rpms distribution, or if the contrary is
> true (if you can create rpms from Ubuntu/Debian).

I know little about RPMs based distribution. My first distribution was a
redhat (2.0? Who remembers...) - the only thing I remember was the mess
about .rpm packages. At a certain time, .deb-based distributions were a
lot ahead (about packaging); I switched to Debian and I don't regret. At
present time, may be that RPM equals or surpasses DEB, I don't know.

It seems to me that you can manage rpms from debian distros; at least
you can install rpm packages and, strangely enough, it works pretty
well. I just tried to make an RPM from a simple gambas project. At first
sight, it worked smoothly: two rpms were created, and rpm -qi -p blah
blah works. I neglected to try to install them, but it seems to me that
it should work...

About the couple of programs missing (fakeroot and the other one), it is
simply a matter of someone caring to package them and put them online.
But I suspect that, instead of trying to converge, too much people want
to demonstrate the superiority of one technology over another or, even
worse, to make "protectionism". After having read the Debian statute I
got illuminated: so I think that if it is difficult to make .deb from an
rpm distribution, it is not a debian fault. But it is true that debian
policies evolve, and it is difficult (or hard work) to try to follow them.

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."