[Gambas-user] gambas3 search/replace global - really inconvenient

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Tue Jun 29 09:45:02 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 16:53:27 Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > HI Benoit,
> >
> > I'm longing for a roll-back or change to your global search proceedures.
> >
> > Yes, the global search finds all the recurrences, but its slow and
> > cumbersome.
> >
> > Couldn't you just add an extra checkbox on the ordinary search and
> > replace which says 'global search', and then, as used to be the case,
> > when the current module is searched, just move on to the next occurence,
> > load the code on a tab to let the user interact with it, then move on.
> > You could also add an option like 'close edited code panel' for users who
> > don't want 100's of tabs open as the search progresses.
> >
> > What do others think.
> >
> > I find with a huge project, the current method really cumbersome.
> >
> > REgards
> >
> > Richard
>
> Why do you use "global search" then? Just use "next" and "previous" button,
>  or F3 and SHIFT+F3 to search inside the current module!
>
> Or maybe I don't see what you are talking about?

I do use F3 etc within the module.

I notice that after the global search is done it lists all the occurrences,
and that one can just click on each line which then loads the code module.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that within the same searchbox that pops up
when you search a module, it has an option of 'search globally', and that then
- F3 would just move to the next occurrence in the project, not just continue
going and look for everything.

In a large project like mine, if one starts the global search, there is no way
to stop it apparently and if the svn tree contains many megs of files then it
takes quite some time to complete.

Regards