[Gambas-user] Hell of packages - Benoit

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Jun 8 18:24:28 CEST 2010

> Dear Benoit and others,
> this is a request and i think it is very resonable: can you just request
> uniformized package naming policy for the different distros? The point is,
> it is nearly impossible to write cross-distro applications in Gambas2,
> since each and every distro has its own packaging policy. For example,
> Ubuntu ships packages gambas2-gb-sdl and gambas2-gb-sdl-sound separately.
> In Suse it doesn't exist package gambas2-gb-sdl-sound. So if I compile a
> program in Ubuntu, there's 0% chances for it to install normally on Suse.
> Another example is the variety of gambas2-gb-db-sqlite packages. I simply
> cannot switch the driver on, because I'm writing my program (GamCat)
> simultaneously for all the major distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Arch,
> Slackware...). Since you are the owner of the Gambas project, I ask you to
> do something to solve this disastrous situation. Gambas is so great, it
> would be a pity to let it go headless on! Please force a unified naming
> convention upon the packagers! Thank you!
>
> Csaba

I have explicitely requested that, in a document named "how to package Gambas"
you can find on the wiki.

I explained that to the Mandriva packager, and now everything is fine (I'm a
Mandriva user).

I think the specific users should report a bug to their distribution. As I am
not a Ubuntu or a SuSE user, I'm not the better people to do that. And if, for
example, a lot of Ubuntu users report and vote for that bug, and eventually
send a mail to the packager, maybe the situation will become better in Ubuntu.
Same thing for OpenSUSE or other distributions.

In other words, I don't want to do that alone. I need the help of Gambas
users. And one does not need to be a programmer to do that!

--
Benoît Minisini