[Gambas-user] Hell of packages - Benoit

M. Cs. mohareve at ...626...
Tue Jun 8 17:22:35 CEST 2010

Dear Benoit and others,
this is a request and i think it is very resonable: can you just request
uniformized package naming policy for the different distros? The point is,
it is nearly impossible to write cross-distro applications in Gambas2, since
each and every distro has its own packaging policy. For example, Ubuntu
ships packages gambas2-gb-sdl and gambas2-gb-sdl-sound separately. In Suse
it doesn't exist package gambas2-gb-sdl-sound. So if I compile a program in
Ubuntu, there's 0% chances for it to install normally on Suse. Another
example is the variety of gambas2-gb-db-sqlite packages. I simply cannot
switch the driver on, because I'm writing my program (GamCat) simultaneously
for all the major distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Arch, Slackware...). Since
you are the owner of the Gambas project, I ask you to do something to solve
this disastrous situation. Gambas is so great, it would be a pity to let it
go headless on! Please force a unified naming convention upon the packagers!
Thank you!

Csaba