[Gambas-user] Callbacks in Gambas (was Re: Signal management)

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Jul 14 00:09:11 CEST 2010

> Nice thing. But now I have a further question: is it possible to
> implement generic callbacks in Gambas?
> I mean - many libraries have functions where you specify a callback to
> be called, like the glib function g_signal_connect(); it would be nice
> to implement them, even partly, without resorting to write a gambas
> component. May be that by using libffi it is possible to implement them
> fully, but even a simple event could do. My problem now is that using
> ALSA, I must poll continuously to see if some event is coming in,
> wasting a lot of CPU and losing precision. With a callback if would be
> much simpler...
>
> I hope I have been clear enough.
>
> Regards,
> Doriano

It is possible, I will trying to do that. There is a lot of magic involved
behind that, hopefully handled by the libffi library.

Alas, that library is not very well documented, so it will take a little time,
and I'm not 100% sure it will work as expected.

Benoît Minisini