[Gambas-user] GAMBAS rules! (And a couple of questions about listboxes and control "arrays")

Fri Jan 1 16:05:36 CET 2010

Bill Richman ha scritto:
> Hi.  Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.  I actually had
> most of the code figured out and working already, but you've filled in
> some information about "why" it works that I wasn't sure about.  I had
> the code creating the buttons, and the "button_click" sub with the
> "LAST" value being stored.  I was having trouble getting the array
> declared in a way that would make it available to the entire class and
> still keep the compiler happy.  Mostly through trial-and-error, I
> figured out that I could use:  PUBLIC aButtons AS Object[150] to
> accomplish what I needed to.  I don't have the "NEW" clause in there;
> I'm not sure if that will come back to bite me or not.  I have a few
> things to clean up in the user interface and I think my project will be
> ready for use.  I'll probably be back to bother you guys again, though.
> :-)
>
> P.S.  - Happy New Year, everyone!

Thanks for the whishes, and Happy New Year to you and everybody in this
list.

About the declaration, if the compiler accepts "PUBLIC aButtons AS
Object[150]" I think it will not byte you... but at this point it's me
that gets confused :-)... so I go for some experiment, and find the
following.

The first way I suggested, "new object[]", is a growing list of objects.
The notation you use is a static array; i made some experiment, and
found that there is no real differences between the two - your
declaration is really a dynamic list containing already a number of
elements. There is always something to learn...

You insist on troubles having the array visible in the whole class, but
it seems to me that there can be no troubles - when you declare
variables in a class, there is no way to hide those variables from the
class itself; you can only declare them PRIVATE to hide them from the
outside. So, every declaration would get what you wanted.

Anyway, it works - and this is good.

Happy typing,

--
Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."