[Gambas-user] Socket Limitations

Kadaitcha Man nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...
Fri Jan 1 14:51:03 CET 2010

gb3, qt4 on Ubuntu 9.10.

Are there any known limits on the size of data that can be sent down a
socket in one gulp?

I have a proxy written in gb3 that uses Socket to communicate with a
remote server and uses ServerSocket to get data from the client.
ServerSocket seems to gag when given anything above 44k or so but it
eventually recovers and retrieves the data being forced down it's
throat. However Socket consistently fails between 41 and 47k and never
ever recovers.

I have proved that Socket is the issue and not ServerSocket by sending
41-47k chunks of data down Socket without ServerSocket being involved
in the transaction.

I know I can break the data up into multiple chunks before sending it
through the socket but the proxy is already doing some very heavy-duty
signalling, which proxies are wont to do, so I'm loathe to add even
more signals into the proxy. I just want to know if there are known
limits on Socket. I don't want to break up the data into multiple
chunks for the reason I just mentioned so if I am forced to limit the
size of data going down a socket then that's fine by me. It's a design
decision I'll have to make.

I merely want to know. Well, I want to know for sure because I
certainly suspect it :)

I am using Read# and Write# commands with Lof(), btw.

Oh, I decided to post this to the user list rather than the developer
list because I'm not convinced it's a gb3-specific issue.