[Gambas-user] Draw.Text problem with control chars

Ron_1st ronstk at ...239...
Mon Feb 8 15:25:29 CET 2010

On Sunday 31 January 2010, Kad Mann wrote:
> Doriano Blengino wrote:
>
> > A tab width is normally eight spaces
>
> Every single one of my cites say you're completely wrong.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_key
> www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/268538/tab-versus-space-indentation-in-c
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/119562/tabs-versus-spaces-in-python-programming
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_is_a_tab
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_and_how_do_you_indent_to_begin_a_paragraph
> http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-49/mail-archive/msg00000.html
>
> Where is your single cite saying you are right?

here???
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_key  :)

 ASCII and EBCDIC paragraph

Instead it was rather quickly replaced with fixed tab stops, at every multiple of 8 characters horizontally and every 6 lines vertically, so they simply became a form of data compression, since a printing program could easily add the necessary spaces to move to any position wanted on a form. The vertical size was chosen to be 1 inch. It is unclear why the 8-character horizontal size was chosen, as 5 characters, half inch in a typical printer at that time, was much more popular at that time as a paragraph indentation.

the 5 characters has to do with the 10 characters/inch teletype character set in the matrix impact printers at that time (around 1982) (i.e. Epson mx80/fx80/fx100 use it)

> I have 824,000+ more references to fall back on, but I'm sure you'll get the
> idea.

Just possible info.
Like your discus with oponent :)

Best regards,