[Gambas-user] Gambas 3 advancement

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Dec 19 21:30:45 CET 2010

> Pipes should not return EOF when the pipe is not closed. But they should
> return EOF when the other side closes.

Why ?

EOF() actually means "there is nothing to read anymore", which is the
important needed information.

If Eof() returns TRUE only when the pipe is closed:

1) How do you know that there is nothing to read anymore?

2) What do you do for Sockets, for example?

> A compound control should intercept all events of its members, and raise
> its own ones. More in general, a class which uses other classes, or
> inherits from them, should completely own them and control the whole
> thing, even during creation and destruction.

That is what I mean with "solving the ValueBox problem".

> An OnIdle event would be handy, raised every time there are no other
> events pending.

Mmm. This will eat all the CPU...

> The preprocessor could implement "#define" and use the definitions to do
> simple token substitution (and, of course, make test on them).
> Otherwise, you end in too many nested "#if".

What I can do is implementin "#Const xxxx = <expr>", with <expr> being only a
test expression.

I don't have the time to embed an entire evaluator in the compiler.

Benoît Minisini