[Gambas-user] Gambas 3 Display problems

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Dec 8 16:13:21 CET 2010

> Using GB.GTK+ Library on Ubuntu maverick, I notice odd display behaviour:
> 1. Set a panel to default foreground, and text  on components is black
> in the IDE, as expected. Run the app and all text is grey.
> 2. As item 1 but select foreground color as "System.TextForeGround" and
> same problem.
> 3. As item 2 but select foreground color as "Free 000000" and all text
> is black in IDE and live.
> 4. Select a font as Ubuntu -1 and it appears as 10pt as  expected in the
> IDE. Run the app and it is about 14pt.
> 5. As item 4 but check the "Size" box and select a size of 10. It
> appears in the IDE, and Live, correctly as 10pt.
> 6. Set a Panel border to "Etched" and it appears correctly in IDE but,
> when run, it appears as plain. Same applies to "Raised" and "Sunken".
>
> I have used Panel as an example but the problems apply to other
> components such as labels and text boxes. All the problems can be worked
> around but it seems a backward step from the Gambas 2 IDE
> Regards
> Michael

The IDE uses the Qt library, whereas your program, by default, uses the GTK+.

If you have a different font size between GTK+ and Qt, you will have different
font sizes when running your project. Same remark for the color.

I use Ubuntu Maverick with KDE. In KDE, you can force GTK+ applications to use
the QT default font, and the system colors defined in the KDE control panel.

I don't know if you can do the contrary when you use Gnome. I will check, but
if someone could tell us... Otherwise, install and use the "qtconfig" program
to configure the default font of the Qt library.

As for the panel border, it depends on the GTK+ style. Only the Qt etched
border does not depend on the Qt style. Anyway, "Etched" border may be removed
in the future, as I find it ugly.

I hope I answer all your remarks.

Benoît Minisini