[Gambas-user] User components in Gambas 3

Ian Haywood ihaywood at ...1979...
Wed Apr 21 14:22:58 CEST 2010

2010/4/21 Benoît Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:

> - At run time, the associated projects will be searched by using the $PATH
> environmental variable, as any other executables.
Not sure about $PATH: gambas components/libraries generally won't be
in the same directories as general system
executables, and vice versa. I'd consider a specific variable, say
$GAMBASPATH (in the same pattern as Python's $PYTHONPATH and Java's
$CLASSPATH)

If this variable doesn't exist, the interpreter should search a
hardwired set of directories, which may vary by distro, on Debian and
like systems it would be
.:/usr/lib/gambas/:/usr/local/lib/gambas/

> - When creating the main project packages, it will be easy to add a dependency
> on the associated project packages.
What would be nice is for the IDE to scan the $GAMBASPATH and list the
installed libraries available. Ideally this would be a common
system for both 'standard' and third-party libraries.
It would mean some fields within the library binary format to store a
small amount of metadata (say a one-paragraph description, a licence
and a URL to their API documentation)

> Maybe "library" would be a good term...
Yep, "library" is good.

Ian