[Gambas-user] Did anybody try to run stepper motors through paralel port

Les Hardy les at ...2337...
Sun Apr 18 21:27:13 CEST 2010

Doriano Blengino wrote:
> Les Hardy ha scritto:
>
>> Zelimir Ikovic wrote:
>>

>>> I have VB6 program that run CNC plasma machine. It work very well and smooth under win200, but in WinXP machine motion is not good.
>>>
>>> It doesnot help if I set REALTIME prority for the process ...
>>>
>>> How about Linux and Gambas? Daes it depent on version of Linux ...
>>>
>>> What is resolution for Gambas Timer? Can I wait 10 microsec do something wait 10 microsec and so on ...
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

> Uhm... under linux, no matter what version, you can use the parallel
> port and high resolution timers, but... 10 us? What is the speed of your
> motor(s)?
> Anyway, I see it difficult to do it in gambas, mainly because of tight
> GUI integration and impossibility to use interrupts; the best way would
> be to separate hi-level logic from lo-level timing, perhaps through a
> library written in C.

Yes, I agree. I did a lot of work with parallel ports in the past, but I
would not attempt a serious application for that job in Gambas.

Since I retired, I have been building my own hobby CNC machines, but I
just use EMC2. It is GPL, and very efficient, so I figured I had no need
to write my own app.

Les Hardy