[Gambas-user] Multithreaded Programs

Werner wdahn at ...1000...
Fri Nov 6 06:08:08 CET 2009

Doriano Blengino wrote:
> Benoît Minisini ha scritto:
>
>>> I pretty much agree.
>>> Gambas as well as other RAD languages are very good for GUI
>>> programming, and generally for not CPU intensive purposes.
>>> If you really need speed, use libraries written with C/C++ or similar.
>>> BUT it would be very nice if Gambas could handle most things so
>>> quickly that you don't need to use C/C++.
>>>
>>> Maybe Gambas could launch multiple interpreters to enable
>>>  multi-threading..? But I think you have already considered and discarded
>>>  that idea...
>>>
>>> Maybe interpreter itself should use multi-threading?
>>> Although I don't know is there yet any good way to do that, meaning
>>> without installing TBB or similar to enable
>>> easy using like parallel_for, parallel_loop etc.
>>>
>>> Jussi
>>>

>> I don't like doing that, but hey, here is an authoritative argument. :-)
>>
>> "A computer is a state machine. Threads are for people who can't program state
>> machines." - Alan Cox.
>>

> "A computer is made of flip-flops (the very basic unit of memory). High
> level languages are for people who don't understand computers - those
> who understand them are perfectly happy with punched paper tapes and
> machine-level languages" - Doriano Blengino.
>
> Without multi-threading and multi-tasking there would not be computers
> as we know them. Full stop. This is not to say that gambas should have
> multi-threading, nor that Alan Cox is stupid. But that affirmation is.
> More on this, if requested.
>
> Regards,

Surely Alan Cox had meant that to be understood with a nudge and a wink. :-)
Multi - threading opens a whole can of worms. Gambas 2 is rock solid and
if there has to be a choice between robustness and performance I take
the former any time.

Having said that, I do have difficulties getting a ticker message to run
across the bottom of a 42 inch plasma screen without noticeable jitter
while the rest of the screen is doing Image.Fade (on a dual core CPU).
Maybe the answer to my woes is to take a long hard look at openGL.

Regards,
Werner