[Gambas-user] Multithreaded Programs

Thu Nov 5 23:02:24 CET 2009

Benoît Minisini ha scritto:
>> I pretty much agree.
>> Gambas as well as other RAD languages are very good for GUI
>> programming, and generally for not CPU intensive purposes.
>> If you really need speed, use libraries written with C/C++ or similar.
>> BUT it would be very nice if Gambas could handle most things so
>> quickly that you don't need to use C/C++.
>>
>> Maybe Gambas could launch multiple interpreters to enable
>>  multi-threading..? But I think you have already considered and discarded
>>  that idea...
>>
>> Maybe interpreter itself should use multi-threading?
>> Although I don't know is there yet any good way to do that, meaning
>> without installing TBB or similar to enable
>> easy using like parallel_for, parallel_loop etc.
>>
>> Jussi
>>

> I don't like doing that, but hey, here is an authoritative argument. :-)
>
> "A computer is a state machine. Threads are for people who can't program state
> machines." - Alan Cox.

"A computer is made of flip-flops (the very basic unit of memory). High
level languages are for people who don't understand computers - those
who understand them are perfectly happy with punched paper tapes and
machine-level languages" - Doriano Blengino.

Without multi-threading and multi-tasking there would not be computers
as we know them. Full stop. This is not to say that gambas should have
multi-threading, nor that Alan Cox is stupid. But that affirmation is.
More on this, if requested.

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."