[Gambas-user] Feature Request - Package Management

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at ...1601...
Tue May 19 12:47:45 CEST 2009

Sun's JDK binaries also includes the dependencies needed, and we'd need a
package for each architecture, but I'm all for the idea.
I'm assuming that it would install it somewhere like /opt, then
the dependencies would be in a separate prefix there too. The only problem
then is, say because your on Hardy, you'd possibly have two different GTK
versions and it may get hard to maintain efficiently, unless the install
script detected the distro, and automatically satisfied the dependencies,
but then you might as well make a load of .debs.

Just my thoughts

2009/5/19 KhurramM <kmsuse at ...626...>

> Hi all!
>
> I dont know, if its possible, but I like to have a installer like:
>
> gambas-3.1.2-install.bin or gambas-3.1.2-install.sh
>
> for every new release (stable or unstable), for all linuxes.
>
> Advantages:
>
> 1> Faster updating.
> 2> Faster bug fixing (as every one uses it).
> 3> More documentation to configure and use.
> 4> Choice to use any version .... any-time.
> 5> Be independent of compiling and dependency seeking.
> 6> Single repos for all linux-variants.
> 7> Easy downgrading, if required.
> 8> Easy testing of a unstable release.
> 9> Installing as a core-package rather then a dependent.
> 10> More helps available.
>
> Just as sun offers jdk and jre releases fro linuxes.
>
> Installer and un-installer packages be also available in the same format.
>
> Please Agree!:-) Thanks in advance.
>
> Currently I am on hardy, and I dont find it comfortable to compile.
>
> Best Regards to all..
> --

joshua higgins