[Gambas-user] No EXEC Output but Works in Terminal

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Mar 4 11:10:24 CET 2009

> A Person wrote:
> > Good Day . . .
> >
> > I am using Gambas 2.8.2-1ubuntu1.
> >
> > I wrote a program that randomly displays a line from a text file. The
> > code worked in pure Gambas but then I tried to improve it! (Ho Ho Ho)
> >
> > I searched around and I came up with and modified an executable BASH
> > script (test.sh) that worked substantially faster than my code so I
> > tried to incorporate it into the source code.
> >
> > During my testing I continuously ran tests in a terminal and
> > everything worked perfectly with the script. I tried it in my code using
> >
> > ## EXEC ["~/test.sh"] to sOutPut or EXEC ["~/./test.sh"] to sOutPut
> >
> > and nothing worked. sOutPut was always "".
> >
> > The attached tar file contained a small program that contains an
> > example EXEC problem code. A modified test.sh script is included along
> > with a dummy data file, words.txt.
> >
> > Any ideas about the EXEC problem?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul

> >----- Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San
> > Francisco, CA -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open
> > Sourcing the Enterprise -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs
> > with open source participation -Receive a $600 discount off the
> > registration fee with the source code: SFAD http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
>
> I tried your code and got the same results as you did. Changing the To
> sOutPut to a WAIT revealed an error message that it couldn't find the
> script. I corrected the path to the script in the EXEC line and it worked.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Richard.

Yes. The tilde character "~" means your home directory only inside a shell or
inside a Gambas file open command.

EXEC executes your command by using the exec system call, and so "~" is not
translated to your home directory.

Benoît