[Gambas-user] Executable files

Jesus Guardon jguardon at ...2035...
Tue Jun 2 11:50:49 CEST 2009

Doriano Blengino escribió:
> richard terry ha scritto:
>> On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:39:13 pm Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I have made my first Executable file via the Project menu item and it
>>> created a file.gambas file.
>>>
>>> I sent that to another computer, but it won't execute.  Do I need to
>>> install gambas on every machine that I want to run gambas created
>>> executables on?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>

>> yes
>>

> Well, yes and no. To run a gambas executable you only need the gambas
> runtime - basically /usr/bin/gbr2 , and support files in /usr/lib and
> /usr/share. On a Debian system the package is named "gambas2-runtime";
> you should also install every component used by the application: they
> are named "gambas2-gb-xxx"; for example, "gambas2-gb-gtk" and so on.
>
> If you want to install the minimum required to run your application, do
> so. If you also install gambas2-dev, you also have the compiler; if you
> install gambas2-doc, you add the documentation (32 Mb); if you install
> gambas2-ide you also have the IDE. If you install the "gambas2" package,
> you get everything. So a shortcut culd be to select "gambas2" for
> install, and then unselect the docs, the compiler and the IDE.
>
> This in a Debian system - don't know about other OSes, or when installed
> from sources.
>
> Regards,

Hi all

In addition to the comments above, I will explain the way I do.

You can create distributable packages for several distributions from
Project -> Create -> Package Installer  (Not, sure I'm using Spanish
locales)

 From the 'wizard', fill in the fields you need, next step write your
changelog, choose which packages you want to make for a distro, select
the sections you want your menus will placed on, and magically you will
get the installable packages into the selected directory ready for
distribute them.

These packages will resolve dependencies automatically, the only
downside is if you are using or compiling your project with the last
stable version of Gambas(and its components) and your end users have an
old version within their repositories. It may (or will do, for sure)
that your application doesn't work or fails at one point.

Personally, I'm creating the Debian packages myself, including all
needed -and recent- Gambas' components inside the .deb package. This
way, users don't need to install nothing about Gambas manually.
You can find lots of info about creating deb packages on the Internet.

Of course, my method is not perfect. I have been created the same
directory structure like Gambas does, but only copied the needed
components/libraries. What about if the user want to install another
Gambas application which resolves old dependencies from repos?
Likely, my latest versions of Gambas components/libraries will be
overwritten, and if so, my application will stop running or will
malfunction. Another drawback but less important, is the size of your
package, that will grow depending on used/needed components.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jesus