[Gambas-user] Never mind....

Stephen Bungay sbungay at ...981...
Mon Jul 13 21:25:32 CEST 2009

Doriano Blengino wrote:
> Stephen Bungay ha scritto:
>>    I see there are TWO places to set the default tab size. One under
>> Project->Properties->Options and the other under
>> Tools->Preferences->Editor. A little confusing this, since one is using
>> the editor to edit the project, it logically follows that the editor
>> preferences are the item that needs setting. Quite strange but OK. Some
>> to think of it I might have commented on this a few years ago when I
>> initially asked for tabs to be able to be adjusted down to 1.
>>
> It makes a lot of sense if the option in project is used when you open a
> project, maybe written by someone else. When you start a new project,
> the option is copied from the editor one. So you can use your
> preferences without messing the screen when opening someone else's work.
> I did not verify this, but it seems a good idea.
>
> Regards,

   Having it (the settings) in one location is IMHO a better choice.
I've been away from development with Gambas for a few years and I
completely forgot about this nuance of the environment. If it happens to
me (who has used the environment extensively in the past) then a
newcomer may be even more perplexed.

   Anyway, it is usable as it is, once you know (or in my case remember)
this little idiosyncrasy.

   I always accepted it as given that the environment,  when opening an
existing project, would inherit the IDE configuration settings of the
environment in which the project was originally created.  This also
meant that logically when creating a new project the IDE would use it's
own configuration settings. It never occurred to me for it to operate
otherwise as it would not make sense for it to do so.

Well, back to coding... :)

Steve.