[Gambas-user] something need to be done with the compiler

kobolds kobolds at ...2041...
Tue Jul 7 23:58:39 CEST 2009

Benoît Minisini wrote:

>> I have been trying learn gambas for a month  now , I quite happy with it
>> other than the compiler .
>> the compiler just too stupid . when I code a program and some time typo
>> or
>> forget the fill a parameter of a function , the compiler just ignore it .
>>
>> I spend more time to trace such stupid problem on run time  . try to
>> image
>> you get weird exception from your program and the problem is some typo
>> you
>> made or made by others. the program you made will be full of unknown bugs
>> that not yet discover
>>
>> this is really giving huge problem for anyone want to use gambas to
>> develop
>> a program .
>>
>> the compiler should check all these problem and show warning as what a
>> normal compiler should do.
>
> The compiler could warn only when calling a function in the same class. I
> may
> add that check.
>
> But, as I explained before, it cannot do anything for call between two
> different classes.
>
> But when you enter a function call, the IDE shows you the syntax of the
> function in a tooltip, so I don't understand how you could forget an
> argument
> too often.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît

checking the whole project will be the best . if those unable to find show
as warning not error . even if slow down , I doubt anyone will mind .

I'm a lazy programmer .  sometime I change the parameter of a function in a
class or module , sometime I remove or move some share variable or function
.

I usually left the checking to the compiler (as most programming language
compiler will do)  . the compiler will tell me where in the code that is
effected to the change .

gambas compile is the first compiler that I encounter that doesn't do what a
standard compiler must do.

i think this limitation is very bad to gambas . for example if you
distribute some component . then at some version some function is remove .
the people that using the component won't be able to know cause the compiler
doesn't give them any warning .