[Gambas-user] Spacing = True Question

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jan 16 03:49:01 CET 2009

On vendredi 16 janvier 2009, richard terry wrote:
> Wonder if someone could clarify this for me.
>
> Previously spacing was (and the documention in the IDE still says it is)
> the number of pixels separating child controls. If this is so, how does one
> give this a value?
>
> Personally I think using spacing like this is a backwards step for gambas.
> This little property was one of the wonderful things about the
> gui-designer, one had absolute control over the gaps between things, which
> when you are designing a gui with lots of objects, every pixel becomes
> critical.
>
> Now all I can see to do is switch spacing off, and use padding to set the
> distance betwen 2 controls you don't want to touch - and that at a minimum
> will be 2 pixel widths, as padding pads all around an object.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

This change is a way to prevent VB-like GUI with too small or random spacing
between widgets, *and* to make the spacing proportional to the font size.

Please provide a concrete example of the usefullness of arbitrary spacing,
otherwise the discussion will remain theoretical.

If you run out of space because you have too many widgets on the screen, maybe
this is a sign that your GUI should be redesigned?

--
Benoit Minisini