[Gambas-user] Gambas2 components?

Gareth Bult gareth at ...1689...
Tue Jan 13 12:32:41 CET 2009

Ok,

I was sort of waiting for the man to comment .. however, it's an area of interest for myself.
Apologies in advance if this feels a little negative, it's not intentional.

>I'm interested in finding out how to go about creating reusable components and how to install 3rd party ones.

Me too!
There are reasons why you don't find many I'm afraid ..

>Lastly is there a database component (ie one that you can set via properties from within the ide for the DB of choice?

AhHa! Another ex-Delphi/Kylix programmer .. ;-)

No. (not yet)

>I'm thinking of what was/is available in the likes of Delhpi 3 where you had ....
>    a database component
>    a datasource
>    grids and table views

The closest thing you're going to get for the moment is GridEditor.
http://gambasrad.org/software/gambas-grideditor

The reason this is still a flakey looking add-on is because it's written as a Gambas component (in Gambas) and as a result, the facilities to render the component inside the IDE (live) don't exist. That said, I'm using GridEditor in a number of (substantial) applications as in the context of what it does, I'm unaware of any bugs and performance-wise it works pretty well. (it has no problems editing tables [select's] with tens of thousands of rows) It also handles master-slave daisy chaining for dynamic / graphical updates.

[Note; not that gambas written components are flakey specifically, just one's ability to present the component / properties makes the component look less than professional]

That said, I'm currently writing my first "C" component and once I have it finished, I'm going to have a crack (again) at getting GridEditor to do what I (and you) think it ought to .. :)

hth

Gareth.