[Gambas-user] Help with some parsing

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Mon Feb 16 22:26:20 CET 2009

I'm importing some old data from windows. The data is exported from msAccess97
and some of the text fields have a carriage return of some sort in the
middle. The same character seems to be used by access as the end of line for
each record, so when I try and import it, I'm getting a truncated line, which
then mucks up the next line

I wondered how one could check this

eg: If I look at the file in a text editor with line numbers:

1 Doe|john|01/02/1950|some text in here saying something
2 Smith|Peter|19/02/1944|also some text
3 but is split onto a new line so the parser crashes
3 Brown|Michael|17/05/1966|but this line is ok

ie: there is a character in there  that here I've designated as [xx] which is
intrepreted as a new line

1 Doe|john|01/02/1950|some text in here saying something
2 Smith|Peter|19/02/1944|also some text [xx]
3 but is split onto a new line so the parser crashes
3 Brown|Michael|17/05/1966|but this line is ok

So my quesitoni is 'how to discover what the character is ?chr$(10)(13)
and how to eliminate those before parsing.

Thanks in anticipation.

richard