[Gambas-user] Not sure about what type of project to use, pls advise

Tue Dec 29 18:17:28 CET 2009

cwyong1 ha scritto:
> Hi
> i am thinking of writing an financial system but am confused, should i go
> for Graphical Application of QT or GTK+ Graphical Application
>
> Thank

Hmm, good question.

GTK support in gambas is incomplete if compared to QT - especially the
printer interface which works well in QT and it seems to lack in GTK.
There are other widgets missing in GTK, and probably more quirks.

Being your a financial program, I would go with QT.

Anyway, you can change the graphic back-end without touching a single
line of code, if you plan with care. Once your project has been created,
you can go in the Project/Components tab and substitute QT with GTK. You
can also use the switcher component instead: this component uses QT if
running in a KDE environment, otherwise GTK. This would render the
application more portable. So start your project with QT and, at times,
try to switch to GTK forth and back (especially when adding complex
widgets).

Regards,
Doriano