[Gambas-user] SVN

Jean-Yves F. Barbier 12ukwn at ...626...
Fri Dec 11 15:39:17 CET 2009

Norarg a écrit :
> First of all, thanks, that is helpful.
>
> In fact I am Norwegian, but live here for about a year now - I'll never

Hey, welcome to our friends from the land of horny smoked salmons!

> years (country-side, not Buenos Aires), and I just love the easy way of
> living after 30 years with IT-stress in Middle-Europe. And learn some
> Spanish on the way :)  Now I have time to program what I want, not to

I understand what you mean: I don't like town nor its turmoil either.

> make compromises because of lack of time. I figure, I will use another
> year to make my apps, some free, some commercial. Gambas is a perfect
> front-end for MySQL, the speed is amazing, processing tables as fast as
> if they were local variables in VB. I experimented a little with
> Netbeans, but gave up - that is another world; too complicated for my
> needs. Starting with Linux I still had the thought of making software
> for more platforms; meanwhile I just don't want to see Windows anymore -
> ignore it as none-existent :)

Well, gb is a good choice and you can also use it from other platforms
with something like FreeNX: there are clients for w$ & apple.
(This is a kind of TSR: the server's doing all the work and you've got
the windows onto your regular desktop transparently, with debit as low
as ~30KB/sec (peak and 1st shot before caching!))

You also have Python that is multi-platforms but desesperatly lacks a
real good RAD (and it is also slower than gb.)

> I looked at the link you sent me - well - it really exceeds my budget a
> little, because the price of a MB is pretty high; 5,25 $ for one MB, if
> I got it right. I have 128kbs here (was used to 16mbits in Europe), can
> double it (if I am able to catch the guy installing this, his nickname
> is Lento (Slow)). Somehow one learn patience living in Argentina....

Yeah, sorry I missed the unit: MB (thought it was GB:(
Sat prices are ~€90 for 512kbps in france, so I guess you won't find
no more than 128kbps for the same price in Argentina.

ubuntu is a good choice as it is Debian based (unlike rh you just install
what you want :)
but avoid unstable branch, as you'll need several MB to upgrade per day.

JY
--
Psychoanalysis??  I thought this was a nude rap session!!!