[Gambas-user] SVN

Norarg norarg at ...2311...
Fri Dec 11 14:49:15 CET 2009

Jean-Yves F. Barbier schrieb:
> Norarg a écrit :
>
> PLS avoid cross-posting: open a new post by adressing to
> <gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net>
>

>> I would like to try out newer releases of Gambas, fox. 3.0. I had some
>> problems with other releases in the past - in the end gambas did not
>> work at all. I have tried to figure it out, but did not found what I am
>> looking for: does a SVN substitute a stable version, or do they "live"
>> side by side? I assume, that a lot of lib's have to be changed.
>>

> usually SVN is for development:
> gb2 SVN is bug fixing and adding new features, new stable versions comes
>  from it when the developer decide it is good enough for release,
> gb3 SVN is pure dev and change almost every day.
>

>> I ask this, because I don't want to mess up the system - again :)
>> Meanwhile I am perfect in setting up Ubuntu from the ground... lol what
>> a heavy part ... but my internet-connection is that slow, I need two
>> days to download the newest lib's and changes from ubuntu after the
>>

> well, if you're so slow forget about building gb: you'll need many dev
> libs, and the total isn't light weight (the only reason would be to test
> gb3, or because you absolutely need a gb2 fix or new feature.)
>

>> ground installation. (And please don't tell me, get a faster
>> internet-connection, one do not get it on the country-side of argentina).
>>

> may be this could help you (depending on the budget you can&|want engage)
> http://www.tempestcom.com/services/satrbgan_plans.aspx
>

>> thanks in advance,
>>

> Our friends from land where flying dragons comes from are very welcome :D
>
> JY

First of all, thanks, that is helpful.

In fact I am Norwegian, but live here for about a year now - I'll never
years (country-side, not Buenos Aires), and I just love the easy way of
living after 30 years with IT-stress in Middle-Europe. And learn some
Spanish on the way :)  Now I have time to program what I want, not to
make compromises because of lack of time. I figure, I will use another
year to make my apps, some free, some commercial. Gambas is a perfect
front-end for MySQL, the speed is amazing, processing tables as fast as
if they were local variables in VB. I experimented a little with
Netbeans, but gave up - that is another world; too complicated for my
needs. Starting with Linux I still had the thought of making software
for more platforms; meanwhile I just don't want to see Windows anymore -
ignore it as none-existent :)

I looked at the link you sent me - well - it really exceeds my budget a
little, because the price of a MB is pretty high; 5,25 $ for one MB, if
I got it right. I have 128kbs here (was used to 16mbits in Europe), can
double it (if I am able to catch the guy installing this, his nickname
is Lento (Slow)). Somehow one learn patience living in Argentina....

Regards,
norarg