[Gambas-user] atanh - wrong calculation

Andreas Müller andreas at ...2139...
Thu Apr 16 22:07:51 CEST 2009

Hello all,

first I want to thank Benoit for his wonderfull Gambas system - never
was programming easier than with this IDE!

Now my little problem. I calculated the atanh(0.5) and got:

	?(Atnh(0.5))
	3,162277660168

but this is wrong. The definition of atanh() should be:

	atanh(x) = 0.5 * ln ((1+x)/(1-x))

which gives:

	?(0.5*LOG((1+0.5)/(1-0.5)))
	0,549306144334

and should be the correct value.

Those problems may have its origin in a wrong ALU unit or a wrong
implementation.

Can anybody confirm this or do I have a local problem?

system specs:

Pentium 4
Linux tax 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 20:57:48 UTC 2009 i686
GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid)
Gambas2 version 2.7

best regards and many thanks for your answers!

Andreas Mueller