[Gambas-user] Gambas freezes with Qt apps

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Apr 5 20:10:44 CEST 2009

> Starting from 2.11 Gambas usually manifests some freezes when Qt
> applications are run on some systems. With release 2.12 things seem not
> to be changed: freezes still continue to randomly appear.
> For "freeze" I mean that even I click on the "Run" button from the IDE
> or when trying to start the application from console, the program never
> start and no message is displaied. If I run it from the IDE, I have to
> click on the "Stop" button and click on "Run" again.
>
> Regarding this problem, I've noticed a little thing...
> Sometimes a Qt application that starts from the IDE writes in the
> console the following message:
> "kbuildsycoca running...".
> Sometimes it doesn't.
>
> If the application displays that message it is sure that the first time
> that I try to run it, it will randomly freeze during start. Next time it
> will run fine. I don't know which KDE component displays that message:
> maybe finding it will help to resolve the freezing problems.
>
> I use Ubuntu 8.10 with Gnome but I know about other people with
> different systems that have had the same problem (i.e. Slackware).
>
> I hope this will help developers to fix the bug.

kbuildsycoca is a KDE program, so either you have gb.qt.kde selected in your
project, or maybe you are using a specific Qt theme that depends on KDE.

Do you know what Qt theme is used by your freezing applications on your Ubuntu
system? Use the "qtconfig" program for that, or look for the "Style=" entry in
the ~/.qt/qtrc file.

You can help me too by using 'gdb' on the frozen process. Find the PID of the
frozen process, and run 'gdb gbx2 <PID>'. gdb will stop and debug it. Then you
can use the 'bt' command to get the stack backtrace and send me the result.
Note that Gambas must have been compiled with debugging information enabled.

Benoît