[Gambas-user] Warning newby questions

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Wed Apr 1 02:23:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:58:24 am Jeff Gray wrote:
> 1. Can anyone point me towards some help with splits, panels and expanders?
> THe help I have read doesn't seem to go into depth and I can't see any
> obvious methods to add items to them.
>

> 2. What's the difference between using qt or gtk?

Dont use gtk and your programming experience will be pleasant. I've never once
used a panel anywhere and am non the poorer for it. Use VBox and HBox

As to splitters/panels/expanders I assume you mean HSplit VSplit  and the
properties on controls (expanders don't exist in gambas).

I've knocked up a VERY VERY VERY CRUDE example in a couple of minutes.

 Just note this:

The forms  expand property is set to true. if this is not set, and you embed
this form in another, it will not expand in its new container. This property
has no effect if  you run it as a stand alone form.

The forms arrangment property is set to FILL - if  you don't set this, then
the forms contains wont' expand to FILL the form. Don't worry about the other
properties in this category as you'll probablly never need them. Change this
and run it and you will see what I mean.

As to all the other controls, the general principal is this:

If a control eg  a VBox has its expand property set to true then it will
expand within its container. If false, it will not expand within its
container.

Examine all the properties of the controls, change some of the expand
properties and watch what happens when you run it. Move the splitters and
watch what happens to the textboxes at the top.

Hope this is what you mean.

Its in gambas3 1917 so if not using this you will have to update forms and
recompile.

Regards

Richard