[Gambas-user] Nice book of Gambas

Ron_1st ronstk at ...239...
Wed Sep 3 15:05:44 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008, Kari Laine wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM, <gambas at ...1938...> wrote:
>
> > Am Mittwoch, 3. September 2008 12:25:37 schrieb Ron_1st:
> >
> > The community works on a Wiki, which rights and permissions lay by one
> > person/institution? Best way would be, when the publisher makes the book
> > GPL.
> >

> I am not very knowledgeable of the different licenses (pity I am not a
> lawyer). Is GPL good license for the textbook/wiki?

No the GPL involves software, see other post just done be me at the end.

> If no-one else raises
> their hands I will work on the draft and make a first contact to the
> publisher - let's say friday. Maybe their ignore that kind of mail or they
> might get interested. Problem is I very new to Gambas community and
> therefore am not good candidate for this. Also I am bad negotiator :-)
>
> Who will host this wiki? Should it be part of the existing Gambas-wiki? Btw.
> I noticed there is mention that Gambas wiki is written in Gambas. Is it's
> source code available under GPL?

The presentation is a la wiki.
The gambas engine behind it is I assume total different from it.
I'm also interested to see how it works, it's a second master piece from
the gambas master :)

> If I get the permission and nobody else volunteers to host it I think I can
> think hosting it. Newer run wiki but it might be time to learn it. I am sure
> it's big work to set it up originally with the baseline.

Basic its easy to install. The hard thing is get te content in.
It is not easy cut/paste into a file but you must use the wiki own page editor
as far I know to get correct content. :)

> let me know whether I should proceed or drop the whole thing.
>

> Best Regards
> Kari Laine

Difficult to answer. Everyone will say yeeeesssssssss go for it.
If you like experimenting, have time and want to learn something as a wiki
I would say go for it but try first a private wikisite to get the feeling how
it works. And as usual on forums and mailists, everyone wants all kind of stuff
but contribute to it is to much work so you will be long time on your own.

See the start of allBasic, the idea is good, the frontpage give a nice view
what is avalable but as Rob Kudla already mentioned the contribution should
be more to make the site a hit to go look for information.
Yes it need time to grow up and time will tell.

As time passes by every new site should at least half the content of an
already existing site to have a value for the visitor or a very special and
unique subject to attrackt people for a visit and posible contribution.

For realy good sites you need 2 hands (10 fingers) the remaining you need
the hands of all china people.

Conclusion? It is better to spend time to help other potential good sites
in the growup period then starting a new site. Concentrating information
has more value then spread it out over different sites that lose the interest
of the visitors who did like the site so much.

allBasic site is willing to host the wiki as he told and initialized already.

Fabian Bodard did make gambasforge.net and got a lot contributions but he
has to less time to maintenance the site well.

Gareth Bult has made http://gambasrad.org/ and spend a lot of time but the
last entry in documentation is around Nov 2007, except 1 in Jan 2008.
This one was/is connected with the gambas wiki from Benoit and the maillist.
The forum is still alive but topic/post versus views is enorm.

There is need of practical examples with documentation other then the
syntax of the gambas Basic languageas proven by the many requests.
Willing to provide exists but a few do it in practice.

Best regards
Ron_1st

(again such boring long message) :)