[Gambas-user] Nice book of Gambas

Kari Laine klaine8 at ...626...
Tue Sep 2 21:59:21 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM, <gambas at ...1938...> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 2. September 2008 17:16:10 schrieb Ron_1st:
> > > If I would knew that this going to start this heated discussion I would
> > > not have posted it in the first place...
> >
> > No problem of a heated discussion for me.
> Full Ack!
>
> > I think it just only good to try to get the real permision.
> After reading the licence, any other strategy would be a crime!
>

> > > http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/
> > >
> > > There is a contact on the page. Someone with good english should write
> > > proposition to them.
> > > Possibly discuss it here.
> > > But I am quite sure the answer from the publisher is NO.
> I would do it....but English is not my native language. :-(
>
> Perhaps (at a first step) we should create a list of arguments, why the
> publisher should grant us permission to modify the books content.
> ...and to be honest: I don't think, that they say: NO ...because:
> - Meanwhile the book is overaged ...something about 50%
> - With every new release of Gambas it becomes older and older....and "our"
> Benoit is a hard-working guy! ;-)
> - J.R. never updated the book...it's (too???) much work to update it in an
> one-man-show.
> - The book is free for downloading. ...reading it, to become an overview
> regarding Gambas is okay...but, because of its age, it's no reliable
> reference. ...only a few people would pay for the print. ...so making money
> with the book is a fading process.
>
> ...uuuuuuuuppppppsssss! ...I created a list of arguments! ;-)

I think you made a good summary. Another thing might be that publisher might
get updated book to publish. I mean some people want the real thing. I have
bought - I think three at least - Rubini's device driver book, samba-book, a
Linux kernel book, and a linux programming book. It is nice to have the real
thing - harddisks tend to crash :-)

And as I wrote earlier add-space for the publisher is valuable thing these
days.

Now we need a volunteer to write a first draft.

Best Regards
Kari Laine