[Gambas-user] Possible bug in Gambas

Ron_1st ronstk at ...239...
Thu Oct 16 03:40:35 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Kari Laine wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Werner <wdahn at ...1000...> wrote:
>
> > Kari Laine wrote:

> > They stand for umlauts ä ö ü from what I deduct from the file names.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Werner
> >
> Hi Werner,
>
> thanks for pointing that out. But I am not sure whether they are even that
> anymore after being in Windows-environment and copied over to ext3 utf-8
> filesystem. The true identity of the letters might have been lost even
> before. Some of them show up as boxes in Gambas console-window. How can I
> check what characters the file name consist in Linux-environment? Probably
> view with hex-editor the directory entry - don't know how to do this...
>
> Because I use UTF-8 those umlauts (if they were intact) should show without
> problem?

They should. I did see in the list the umlaut characters in the filenames
so I asume the filenames with boxes has been on FAT before the file was put on NTFS.
Also it can be the newsreader wasn't able to handle UTF8 at grabbing the news.

> My locale (I am Finland so it should be FI something but I prefer
> english-language on computers)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

Looks OK to me. :)

> I really must learn this UTF-8 thing.

Don't try to hard. It are the others that misbehave the character set
Seen webservers telling UTF8 and page iso8159-1 or -15 and reverse.