[Gambas-user] Latest Gambas packages for Ubuntu - Broken?

Gianni Piccini pastrano at ...431...
Thu Nov 13 02:36:56 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 02:31:28 -0800 (PST) MaxVK <maximvonk at ...626...>
wrote:

> Firstly, Gianni: What does apt-get "pinning" mean?

With apt-get, you can add a repository for the next version of your
distro, and use it only for some applications. I've not Ubuntu but
Debian, but it's similar, except for names (we are using stable,
unstable instead of intrepid etc etc).

If I want to use "testing", but I want appxxx to be from "unstable", I
can edit /etc/apt/preferences like this:

Package: appxxx*
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 950

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

And so apt-get will get all apps from testing, except appxxx, from
testing, and appxxx from unstable. Look for a how-to, I'm using memory
due on this pc I've not this file to check, and probably you'll have to
change unstable and testing with intrepid, hoary or what else.

Obviously, to upgrade appxxx, with Synaptic you can still choose
preferred version for all, and force version for appxxx, after you've
added repositories.