[Gambas-user] Graphical Executable launches console shell first?

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon May 26 20:03:53 CEST 2008

On lundi 26 mai 2008, Chris Kenworthy wrote:
> Hi there. Only been using gambas for a few weeks at this point, and
> really enjoying it. Over this weekend I've got a music rating program
> that I already have on windows/palm/pocketPC translated to gambas so I
> can run it on the eeepc.
>
> One thing that kind of seems odd to me though. When I made an
> executable version of the program and double-clicked on the executable
> in file manager, it first opens up a console shell without a command
> prompt, and then the graphical QT window. If I close the shell window
> first, the graphical window goes away first. If I close the graphical
> GUI, the shell shows 'Press <ENTER> to continue...' and goes away
> after I follow that instruction.
>
> Now, that isn't a huge problem, but it's slightly inconvenient for me
> because I don't have much taskbar space on my screen. I know that
> other GUI programs will launch without this sort of routine. Is there
> any way to get a gambas executable running on xandros eeepc without
> showing this console window every time? Thanks if you can help, and
> yay for gambas!

I don't know which distribution you use, but you must know that Gambas
executable are actually scripts. So usually desktops falsely think that it is
a text program than run inside a console.

Gambas binary packages, or Gambas compiled from sources normally install
freedesktop.org MIME information that tell the desktop that Gambas
executables are normal executables. But maybe the desktop you use does not
take these MIME files into account?

--
Benoit Minisini