[Gambas-user] Runtime

Leonardo Miliani leonardo at ...1237...
Thu May 22 15:29:14 CEST 2008

This is similar to the discussion about compiled/interpreted about
BASIC, did you remember? :-)
In the beginning, BASIC was born as a compiled language.. Then, in the
second half of 70s' the interpreted versions raised and began more
popular than the original one.
This has been until mid 80s', when the quest for more speed of the BASIC
programs (trying to reach the performances of TurboPascal & C.) was the
spin to come back to the beginning, proposing compiled versions again
(QuickBASIC and similars).
VisualBASIC changed the things another time, reusing an interpreted
version of the language... and the new languages have followed this
trend... Python, Ruby, Java etc... all of these ones use a runtime
interpreter to translate the source code in bytecode and let it to be
executed by an interpreter. First of all, because of the speed of the
modern CPUs... nothing to compare with the old ones! Today a modern CPU
is able to do the work of thousand old PCs in less time.

Personally, if I should choose I preferred to choose speed against other
features but I have to admit that the interpreter solution is very easy

--
Ciao.
Leo.

Web: www.leonardomiliani.com
E-mail: leonardo at ...1237...
Scegli software opensource - Choose opensource software

Co-fondatore di Gambas-it.org
Il sito di riferimento della comunità italiana degli utenti di Gambas
www.gambas-it.org