[Gambas-user] Merge Gambas Forums / Gambas in Windows

Daniel Campos dcamposf at ...626...
Mon May 19 00:05:57 CEST 2008

Hi:

For the tone of your response, I assume you are being ironic.
> Seriously, I don't know how huge is the Gambas community. I do know that C
> and C++ are well known languages, with masses behind them, so an alone
> forum
> would be senseless, but in the Gambas case, I always thought about a young
> community with a growing number of people...

The problem is that you (a generic you) can not force things to happen in a
concrete way when talking about free software, the spirit of free software
is just "customize it as you want", and that includes the different projects
about documentation, forums, etc. Anyone is free to create new forums, free
to think that their propposal is the best way to handle it, and only
"natural selection" can determine if one day they will join, there will be a
winner in a contest or whatever. Trying to force things to happen is just an
useless effort, that's why I was ironic.

> And speaking about popularity, is Gambas being used in big companies? I
> mean, I used it for my own projects, and zero problems up to now, but what
> if I have to recommend it to a company? Or choose a language for critical
> projects?

Well, here the Extremadura government is using it in about 80.000 computers,
and I know about companies here that are using it too. In Southamerica some
people are migrating VB programs to Linux environments thanks to Gambas too.

Anyway it depends on the kind of companies you work in/for. Some of them are
willing to use new technologies proposed by their workers, and some of them
reject any new thing that do not include the trademark of big companies.
Here in Extremadura, too,  I know about companies that only want to know
about "Java", "IBM support", "Mono-Novell", and are using those bloated
environments to create small applications wasting hundred of thousands of
euros just because they have a well-known trademark as if they were buying
Nike sport shoes. So basically, Gambas2 is ready, but some managers are not.

Daniel