[Gambas-user] Packager appears broken in Gambas 2.0.0 under Ubuntu Hardy

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...626...
Sun May 11 22:29:27 CEST 2008

>  Such is my attitude towards Linux. The fact that it has certain
> characteristics currently is a reality. Whether or not those characteristics
> are desirable, and whether or not we should seek to change them if
> necessary, are entirely different questions. So for example, it seems that
> little or no communication/friendship exists between Gambas and Ubuntu. Is
> that desirable? Probably not. Is anybody really trying to do anything about
> it? I don't know. It is
>  possible that attempts have been made and have been frustrated. It is
> also possible that Gambas gave up too soon. Is anybody sending e-mails or
> getting on the telephone to Ubuntu about the Gambas 2.0 problem? Or do the
> Gambas technicians "have better things to do with their time"? In sum, if
> somebody said to me "We'd appreciate your help by reporting the problem to
> Ubuntu", I might be motivated to do it. But when I get the message "What the
> hell are you telling us for?" then frankly I don't feel too inspired to
> help. Who would?

I've been quiet for all this thread, as Benoît quickly pointed that the
"bug" (let's call it a bug: somebody who doesn't know about minimal debian
packaging tried to do package breaking package rules as using capital
letters) was fixed.
But your latest sentences have had the ability of getting me angry. Your
position reminds me some football hooligans who think their team is the only
one in the world. That's something that happens quite often between Ubuntu
users.
I'll remind you what ubuntu is: Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, they don't
package most of the packages they have in their repositories: they just copy
them from Debian and for most of their packages, their only task is changing
"unstable" by some weird word.
So, if Ubuntu picks up the Debian packages from Debian unstable instead of
Debian testing or stable, they get that kind of things. So, please: complain
to ubuntu and ask them to collaborate with gambas, but don't do the
opposite. All the distributions have that chance, and some of them use it.
I'm an official Debian Developer and try to maintain good gambas packages in
Debian: ubuntu just take my packages from Debian, change the name of the
maintainer and the name of the distribution and think that's all. Now, for
the future next Ubuntu version they have picked gambas2 v2.5, so they will
have the bugs that Benoît has just fixed with version 2.6. So please, get
more information before putting Ubuntu problems on the Gambas developers
side. You now know that next ubuntu version will have a buggy gambas
version: if you work with ubuntu, talk to them. Iff not, you know: ubuntu
release in time, doesn't matter if things are ready or not. It's your
choice, don't cry to us for that choice.

Regards.
José L.