[Gambas-user] Why is Gambas so frowned upon in the Linux programming community

jbskaggs jbskaggs at ...1871...
Sun Mar 30 23:58:39 CEST 2008

I have been looking for people to help me alpha / beta test my program by
going to the ubuntu forums and asking for volunteers.

One of the responses was this snippy response that People in the Ubuntu
community do not use a vb clone and they would not like to either.  That I
should use Python or C++.

SO I searched the web for other forums looking for people to help or
volunteer and I saw the same comments over and over.

What is the deal with these people?  Not everybody wants to learn a hardcore
language and just wants to create apps, why is that so frowned upon?

Is it because VB was used in windows?  or that Gambas is tearing down a wall
of superiority of linux programmers.

It reminds me of firebuilding in the boy scouts:

The hardcore guys would spend three or four hours building a fire with flint
and steel, or wood and bow.  While the kids with common sense used a match.
Yeah if you can start a fire with flint you can build a fire anywhere, but
99% of the time a match is superior.

Is there a better reason than well you NEED to know how to program without
crutches like gui generation, why I should learn harder languages if Gambas
does everything I want?

JB