[Gambas-user] Comment on split editor 2.99 (build 1164)

Stephen Bungay sbungay at ...981...
Fri Mar 28 14:02:20 CET 2008

Benoit Minisini wrote:
> On vendredi 28 mars 2008, richard terry wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:42:19 pm Robert Rowe wrote:
>> I think it is a great feature - what's the point of having files on two
>> different tabs when you want to be able to see both at the same time. - yet
>> another example of making life harder
>>
>> I don't think the world is moving away from splits - take a look at any of
>> the linux editor programs or file managers .
>>
>> The split feature (which Rob implemented) is very useful even in its
>> embryonic form and in my opinion a necessary improvement.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Richard
>>
> If we add a button for just putting a read-only copy of the current editor to
> the right of the workspace, would it be enough?
>
> This way is fast to implement, and I don't have to enhance the gb.form.mdi
> component!

   Tabs and splits are different, they ultimately don't serve the same
purpose. Take Konqueror for example, I can split and sub-divide a
konqueror window many times in both the horizontal and vertical.. have a
large frame on one side and two smaller frames stacked on the other THEN
I can add a new tab.
   The split editor will be very handy when walking through code, having
one sub or function on one side with the calling sub or function on the
other so you're not constantly scrolling back to the calling routine. I
like it.
   Excellent work on the folding procedures too BTW.
   One small suggestion for useablity improvement.
   When a Gambas application halts with an error and displays a dialogue
box to the programmer, it presents only one button "OK". Pressing this
the program suspends, which is a quite often (for me anyway) a fairly
useless thing for it to do because the programmer can't edit the code to
fix the problem.
   How about replacing the "OK" button with "Suspend" and "Halt"
buttons? Why two? Because I realize that there are times when a
'suspend' is desirable, to test values in variables and the like, and
there are times when a 'halt' is required to fix the code. Until we can
edit code on the fly when the application is suspended (ala VB) we need
to halt execution. Having the choice presented to the programmer upon
encountering a problem reduces the amount of mousing around, creates one
point at which the decision is made and one action to implement it.