[Gambas-user] Impression of new editor (2.99 build 1249) - SplitEditor

richard terry rterry at ...1822...
Tue Mar 25 22:41:27 CET 2008

Well, at first glance its great, but it dosn't really function as I would have
hoped.

 Firstly you have to think of the reason to split the code editor - for me, it
is to  be able to view different parts of your code simultaneously, hopefully
to make the task of writing/debugging easier - ie via copying, pasting,
looking at the logic in the top pane, to see how it may be affecting what
could be happening in the bottom pane.

This can often involve looking at two files at once. Have a look at a screen
dump I just did of WingIDE, ok, its python code, and hence contains defs for
each main def and is more complicated, but forgetting that, see how the tabs
at the top of the split tell you where you are.

At the moment also, the code put into the subseqently split window, dosn't
seem to bear much relationship to the code you actually click on to split,
either in the collapse mode or expanded mode, ie you don't end up being able
to work on the code you thought you could ie you are a little lost.

Checkout the behaviour of this feature in say Kate, which in itself is also a
bit inconsistant. When you first split a newly opened file, it puts identical
views in the splits (as does the gambas one),but not at subsequent splits
either.

Anyway, have built 1254 just now, and will play with that today, workload
permitting.

Regards

Richard