[Gambas-user] In search of two features

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Fri Mar 7 21:17:59 CET 2008

On Friday 07 March 2008 14:50, Kari Laine wrote:
> first I would like to see join command in Gambas. Command would
> join array elements or collection elements to a string.

It does, but it's a method of the array, not a stand-alone command.

mystring = myarray.Join(",") ' would result in comma-separated values

> second, some kind of indexing for text boxes. I am making a billing
> program and I have form with the following layout.

This is a very frequently-requested feature, but I doubt we'll ever
see it because populating an array at design time isn't really a
great programming practice.

The way my clients and I have done it is like so (pseudo-code from
memory, may not actually compile):

dim i as integer
dim o as object
dim products as new object[]

for i = 0 to 39
	o = new Textbox(ME) as "products"
	o.x = 10
	o.y = 10 + (20 * i)
	o.width = 100
	o.height = 16
	o.tag = i ' we store the array index in the tag
	products.add(o)
next

Then you can receive events for your textboxes and handle them
appropriately:

sub products_LostFocus()
	dim i as integer
	dim o as object
	o = last
	i = o.tag
	if o.text <> "" then
		updatedatabase(i, o.text)
	endif
end

where "sub updatedatabase(productname as string, id as integer)" is a
subroutine that would include something like mydb.exec("update
mytable set productname = &1 where id = &2", productname, id).

Rob