[Gambas-user] Improving the utility of IDE work flow.

richard terry rterry at ...1822...
Wed Mar 5 08:59:28 CET 2008

As part of my on-going experience with using the editor extensively this is
another observation for a small improvement in usability.

As a prelude I'll make this comment so you know I'm not just talking through
my hat.

I worked for a number of years (admittedly a number of years ago) writing vb
medical records projects - eg pathology ordering, prescriptions, diabetes
stuff, plus a contacts database for our local GP organisation and  an entire
vb medical record project of my own, and made many observations re utility of
programs over the years.

I've been paid quite a bit over a number of years to analyse the usability of
medical records programs, and in the last couple of years was involved with a
comparison of four major commercial offerings (where I was paid both as part
of a large group, and separately as an independant consultant , to evaluate
utility of programs to used in after hours, and aged care residential
facilities in Newcastle)

As part of my independant review, I ran these 4 programs,  and my own (which
is optimised for maximal workflow with minimal keypresses)   simultaneoulsy
side by side in a virtual machine, and kept track of their work flow, and
just how many mouse events, key presses etc, it took to do a similar task in
each one.

For prescriptions eg one program (Yes - it was mine) could take as little as
2-3 key presses to generate an entire script - consisting of
drug/generic/quantities/repeats/dosages/indications/instructions, versus the
usual number of events (up to about 17 or more) generated by the commercial
programs. Over a day, in my environment, this adds up to many many thousands
of extra mouse or keyboard events.

So with reference to Gambas IDE, setting it up so as to allow the user
flexibilty with the minimal number of keypresses and easiest navigation is of
great interest to me.

Given that when one is programming intensively, and has say finished for the
moment, or closes gambas to re-open again for some reason, it would be nice
to have gambas open the project to its last used state, which in my hands
here, it dosnt seem to do (1138 version)

My project now has around 70 modules and forms, and the data directory has
some 15 subdirectories.

As once one's gui is fairly stable one dosn't really want to be continually
re-presented with the gui form at bootup, but with the last code window one
was working on, I think it would be nice have an option in
Tools>Preferences>Editor

 like 'Reload last used class' at bootup.

This would save continually being presented with the gray empty startup panel,
then having to scroll down through dozens of forms, select the one you want,
right mouse click on it, go down the menu to edit class and have the code
window pop up.

Anyway, just a suggestion, I've many others but will list them one by one at a
later date.

Regards

Richard