[Gambas-user] Bluetooth in Gambas

Pablo Vera pvera at ...729...
Mon Jun 2 15:34:06 CEST 2008

I know very little about bluetooth, but I was able to connect a Motorola
S9 headset, a Palm Tungsten T5 and a cell phone to my laptop using Gutsy.

What I could gather from these experiences is that devices identify
themselves and they say what type of device they are or what services
they provide.  The headset identified itself as an audio and handsfree
device, the palm as a computer and the cell phone provided lots of
services, for example: Dial Up Networking and others.

So, in order for your idea to work, you need that the computer's
bluetooth adapter provides the service of an audio device or headset and
of a handsfree.  In bluetooth talk, this are known as a "Headset
Profile" and a "Handsfree Profile".  Without these, your cell phone
won't be able to use your computer as a handsfree, because it won't
recognize it as that.

And how do you do that ?, I think that all this is done in the driver
level.  You would need to configure your bluetooth driver to provide
these services.  Now all this is pure theory, because I really don't
know if this is possible.  In Ubuntu, the bluetooth driver can provide
these services: Network Access Point, Serial Device (used by some cell
phones), Audio Gateway (to connect to a headset), Dial Up Networking (to
accept incoming connections) and maybe more, but these are the ones I am
sure of.

I hope this helps.

Pablo