[Gambas-user] New to Gambas - coding question how to find the active window on an Ubuntu 7.10 desktop

Stefano Palmeri rospolosco at ...152...
Wed Jan 23 23:55:57 CET 2008

Alle 19:43, mercoledì 23 gennaio 2008, Khos ha scritto:
> Hi again,
> I am still struggling to do this, I have started searching for
> shell/terminal commands I could try use because  e.g. using shell xwininfo
> will allow me to hover the mouse over a window, then I click and it will
> give some info of that window I clicked on...but how can I do this without
> having to click on the window? I just want to be able to hover over any
> window and it should give me the windows info (size, is it he active win
> etc etc). Any ideas? desktop,find won't so this I think.. could you lok
> into this for me and provide some guidance?
>
> Thanks
> Kim

Hi, Kim.

All you need is this little utility:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/wmctrl/

after compiling and installing, simply open a lot of windows
and the run

wmctrl -l

it will list all windows on your desktop. The little program has a lot
of options that will help you. See man page or "wmctrl --help"

Regards,

Stefano