[Gambas-user] New 64 bits incompatible change for the 2.1

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...626...
Wed Jan 23 20:34:59 CET 2008

2008/1/23, Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:

> On mercredi 23 janvier 2008, José Luis Redrejo wrote:
> > 2008/1/23, Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Why XWindow use 'long' datatype for their window handle, nobody knows.
> > > Because
> > > of that, window handles are 32 bits on 32 bits OS, and 64 bits on 64
> bits
> > > OS.
> > > As if we were going to create 2^64 windows or pixmaps...
> > >
> > > Well, I had to create a new type of array, Pointer[], and had to
> modify
> > > all
> > > method that deal with window handle: the Control class, the Embedder
> > > class,
> > > the Desktop.Find() method which now returns a Pointer array and not an
> > > Integer array anymore, and so on.
> > >
> > > The good news: these methods now work indifferently on 32 bits OS and
> 64
> > > bits
> > > OS.
> > >
> > > The bad news: this change is not compatible with 2.0, as the Pointer[]
> > > class
> > > does not exist at all in 2.0.
> > >
> > > But I think that a Gambas 2 that works on 64 bits OS is worth this
> little
> > > incompatibility. Ahem, no, I don't change my mind...
> > >
> > > -
> >
> > Well, we all would have prefered avoid this problem, but the 64 bits are
> > more needed than our preferences.
> > Anyway, what are your plans for 2.1 release? release it just after
> > finishing 64 bits work or add more features before doing it? do you have
> > any roadmap or dates?
> > Regards.
>
> I want to finish the 64 bits work and to be able to create component
> packages
> with the IDE.
>
> At the moment, I can't really test the 64 bits version. While my new 64
> bits
> machine is not there (it does not depend on me), I will be able to think
> about a release date.

Ok, then I have two questions about the packages for Debian:
- Taking a look at gambas.sourceforge.net it seems that gambas 1.0 is not
maintained anymore, if you confirm me that's true I will ask Debian archive
to remove those packages.
- I would like to upload to Debian experimental packages made from the svn
for the users to test the 64 bits version. As they'll be in the experimental
repository they can not damage anyone. I have only one worry for this: if I
upload packages that can be built in more platforms than i386, reverting it
to i386 again will have some bureocracy and would take a time. So, as soon
as you can assure me that the 64 bits development on 2.x can not step back I
will prepare the packages (unless you think I should wait a little more for
these tests). I don't have a 64 bits machine, so I will depend on other
users' tests to know if the packages work.

Regards.