[Gambas-user] GTK component not a match for the Qt component?

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jan 21 21:48:16 CET 2008

On lundi 21 janvier 2008, Eugéne Suter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Sorry if the message subject is inflammatory, but I'm experiencing trouble
> using the GTK component with a Gambas2 project that was originally only
> using Qt (before the GTK component had matured).
>
> However, when I switch to the GTK component, there is a loss of
> functionality in the interface of the program and some other quirks that I
> will show in screenshots below:

gb.gtk is younger than gb.qt, so sorry for the people that use it now and have
troubles!

> The main window, when the installer starts, using the Qt component:
> http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/installer-QT.png
>
> Here is same window, using the GTK component:
> http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/installer-GTK.pn
>
> Notice that the textlabels, buttons, panel and icons are gone when using
> the GTK component.
> Next is the partition selector:
>
> Using Qt:
> http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/partition-select
>or-QT.png
>
> Using GTK:
> http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/partition-select
>or-GTK.png

Sorry but I can't read the pictures (The requested
URL /easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/installer-QT.png was not found on this
server, and so on...)

> With GTK, the gridview doesn't seem to do anything it should.

Can you give details?

> And the text
> in the legend uses HTML, which with Qt renders fine, but with GTK the
> textlabel displays the raw HTML.

TextLabel does not use HTML, but a small subset of it. Qt may render more than
this subset, it depends on what you are actually using.

> To keep the ramdisk of the installer light, we really need to use only one
> toolkit. The GTK toolkit was chosen in order to achieve a small memory
> footprint, since we plan to use other GTK apps like Gparted with the gambas
> embedder.
>
> This project was started when Gambas2 was still very unstable
> (1.9.2xprobably), so is there anything that needs to be done to
> "update" it? What
> other debugging do you suggest?

Please specify which version of Gambas you use, give me more details (what
does not work on GridView, which HTML do you put in the TextLabel...), and
send me your project.

> Cheers,
>
> Eugéne

Benoit Minisini