[Gambas-user] GTK component not a match for the Qt component?

Eugéne Suter easuter at ...626...
Mon Jan 21 21:40:25 CET 2008

Hi there,

Sorry if the message subject is inflammatory, but I'm experiencing trouble
using the GTK component with a Gambas2 project that was originally only
using Qt (before the GTK component had matured).

However, when I switch to the GTK component, there is a loss of
functionality in the interface of the program and some other quirks that I
will show in screenshots below:

The main window, when the installer starts, using the Qt component:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/installer-QT.png

Here is same window, using the GTK component:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/installer-GTK.png

Notice that the textlabels, buttons, panel and icons are gone when using the
GTK component.
Next is the partition selector:

Using Qt:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/partition-selector-QT.png

Using GTK:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/easuter/gbx2_installer_probs/partition-selector-GTK.png

With GTK, the gridview doesn't seem to do anything it should. And the text
in the legend uses HTML, which with Qt renders fine, but with GTK the
textlabel displays the raw HTML.

To keep the ramdisk of the installer light, we really need to use only one
toolkit. The GTK toolkit was chosen in order to achieve a small memory
footprint, since we plan to use other GTK apps like Gparted with the gambas
embedder.

This project was started when Gambas2 was still very unstable
(1.9.2xprobably), so is there anything that needs to be done to
"update" it? What
other debugging do you suggest?

Cheers,

Eugéne