[Gambas-user] Gambas 2 - digg and slashdot

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Jan 5 04:42:38 CET 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 19:56, manuel viet wrote:
> As I read it, the 'article' on the wiki is more or less a list of
> "can and cannot", maybe spinning it to be a little more...
> sexy would help. ;-)

I think the ability to have the same code run with a native interface
in KDE and GNOME automatically is pretty damn sexy.  Is there any
other high-level language or toolkit that allows that?

Granted that all the hype nowadays is in web technologies, but Gambas
has basically achieved the kind of desktop unification everyone else
only talks about.  Even Openoffice gives you two different packages
to install to give it your chosen desktop's look and feel, rather
than detecting it at runtime.

The 64-bit thing is a bummer, but I've been warning people about that
for two and a half years now (since September 2005, when I got my
first 64-bit machine.)  It's a fundamental change to the structure of
the compiler, the interpreter and any number of the components.  I
don't even know if gb.pcre is 64-bit clean.

Rob