[Gambas-user] sudo or gksudo in SHELL?

Stefano Palmeri rospolosco at ...152...
Sat Feb 23 16:35:56 CET 2008

Alle 13:39, sabato 23 febbraio 2008, Maximillian Von Kloisterheim ha scritto:
> Stefano Palmeri wrote:
> > I've attached an example.  It shows how to send the password to sudo.
> > You have to change the "your_commad_here" in the code.
> >
> > Stefano
>
> Thanks Stefano, that works a treat. However, Iv asked about this before
> (Not in relation to Gambas) and was told that doing this would leave an
> unencrypted copy of my password in the .bash-history file.
>
> That's why I was trying to get gksudo to ask me for a password, so the
> system is still dealing with the security and I'm simply passing along
> the commands.
>
> Failing this as an option, is there a way to force the program itself to
> be run only under sudo/gksudo, so that the system asks for the password
> before the program runs? (In the same way as I always have to enter my
> password before I can open Synaptic for example)
>
> I know this can be done with a command line once the program is compiled
> and installed, but can this be done from within the development
> environment?
>
> Thanks
>
> Max

Oh, well. It seems you are running Ubuntu, so you have to do a little testing
because I don't know sudo works under Ubuntu.
On Slackware, when I run a program under sudo, the user of that
program becomes "root" so it's really easy to check:

IF User.Name <> "root" THEN
  PRINT "You must be root or use sudo"
  QUIT
ENDIF

but I don't know Ubuntu policy for sudo. Try this
little test:

run:

sudo gedit (be sure there's only a gedit process)

and leave the editor open

then on terminal run:

ps aux | grep gedit | grep -v grep

and check who is the owner/user (first field) of the gedit
process. It could be something (root, admin) that you can use for the checking
as above.

Bye,

Stefano