[Gambas-user] Can't collapse the Heirachy tree in IDE

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Feb 13 05:12:11 CET 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 17:49, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > its really easy to get lost - you could put the current parent
> > control on the top of the tab.
>
> Mmf. How could you be lost? Or maybe you give random names to your
> controls?

A client of mine ported a specialized text editor from VB to Gambas.
In VB, each line was made up of three fields positioned together to
look like a single textbox with highlighting at the beginning and
end, and he used VB's control array feature to lay out 25 copies of
the three fields, using the index of the control to determine which
row was in use when events fired.

In Gambas, that wouldn't have been possible due to the lack of control
array creation in the form designer.  Since the original programmer
didn't know how to create controls at runtime, he'd have had 75
similarly-named, similarly-appearing controls on his form (and no way
to determine which row the user was clicking on without manually
setting the Tag property on each of those 75 fields, but that's a
topic for another night.)

Throw in overlapping controls -- I've messed with VB projects where a
large control was used to hide controls underneath it, for example --
and it's easy to see why you might need to hunt around the control
hierarchy to find something: you're stuck maintaining code written by
someone else who didn't know how to write it as elegantly as you
would have. ;-)

Rob