[Gambas-user] Monitoring a process... Need help

nando nando_f at ...951...
Mon Feb 4 22:33:52 CET 2008

I may suggest the following:

There are 3 parts:

PART 1:
This is to do your script in the background so your Gambas program still responds...

a) Write all the shell script lines into one script file.
This file could be created dynamically in Gambas just before the script is to run
b) Make the last line in the script is the shell command to remove the directory
   that Gambas makes just before the SHELL command (see below)

PART 2:
in Gambas..

TRY MKDIR unique directory  'this is our home-make signal that the script is running
SHELL "the script file &"   'this will start running in the background
Timer1.Delay = 1000
Timer1.Enable    'use Timer1 to see if that unique directory is exists of not.
                 'if it still exists, then the SHELL is still running.
                 'When Timer1 find the directory is gone, the script is done
                 'delete the file (in Gambas) if you choose a dynamic script.
                 'then you can continue on with what you want to do.

PART 3:
Inside TIMER1 code:

PUBLIC SUB TIMER1()

  IF ISDIR (unique directory that was created) = TRUE then RETURN   'shell still working.

  TIMER1.ENABLE=FALSE  'shell done, turn timer off
  (Code here to do something with results from shell)

END

-Fernando